Sunday, August 10, 2008

Soda for Sale


Hey this is my first blog so hopefully it works. I am going to try to post something at least once a week. We had a great learning experience in parenting this week with Ethan (5). Earlier this week we received a Target ad in the mail. Ethan looked at it and saw a new Star Wars leapster game. He was so excited he wanted the game so bad. He even got on the computer to see how to play it. The game was $25 and I really didn't want to spend the money on it. So I told him that he could do chores to earn the money so he could buy it. Later on that day I needed to take a shower when I got out of the shower he was in the corner talking on the phone. I asked him who he was talking to. He told me no one. So I checked my dialed calls and it said George ( his grandma). He called her and asked her to buy the leapster game. That little stinker. He called her because he knew that she would buy it for him and he wouldn't have to chores to earn money. So I called his Grandma and told her to please not buy it for him. She could give him chores to earn money instead. So on Thursday he went and picked up fallen apples in their yard for 5 cents per apple. Ethan picked up 250 apples. So he earned $12.50. Then on Friday Grandma gave him sodas and candy to sell at the park. He woke up so excited to get out and sell. It was so funny. All the boys were out at the park waving the cars down. When the people would stop Gavin (3) would say "what would you like"? Who wouldn't stop when 3 little boys are waving at you. Ethan ended up making $30. It seems like a big process to go through for a lesson about money. But I just wanted him to realize that we have to work to get the things we want in life. And I am just grateful for his Grandma for going along with the idea even though it would have been alot easier to just go buy the game. On friday night he went and purchased the game. He was so proud of himself that he earned the money to buy it. He has hardly stopped playing the game since we got it.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Seriously this story is so cute. What a great lesson for everyone involved.